Become a Trooper: Military Recruitment

Options for Military Personnel

Supplemental Exam Process

If you are in the military when the application period opens and the test dates are established, apply on-line whether you know if you can attend or not.  If you can’t attend during the regular exam period, you must request to take a Military Supplemental Exam. You must supply military orders to support your request to take the supplemental exam by the established deadline. 

The supplemental exams will be given at the Academy within two years of the original filing deadline. More information will be provided when the application period opens.

Veterans' Preference Credits

  • If you are or were a member of the U.S. Armed Forces on a full-time active duty basis (other than for training programs), you may be eligible to have extra credits added to your passing score on the NYSP Entrance Examination. Points cannot be added to or subtracted from your entrance exam score after the application deadline.
  • Non-disabled Veterans who meet the criteria described below, are entitled to receive five (5) extra points. Disabled veterans with a service connected disability rated at 10% or more and are receiving payment from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, who meet the below criteria, are entitled to receive ten (10) extra points.

You qualify for Veterans' Preference credits, if you:

  • Received or expect to receive an Honorable discharge from the U.S. Armed Forces*; AND
  • Active Duty in the Armed Forces of the United States of America. OR
  • Persian Gulf War. August 2, 1990, through date to be prescribed by Presidential proclamation or law. OR
  • National Guard or Reserves – Applies when activated on Title 10 or Title 32 for duty *other than training* (contingency operation as defined in Title 10 U.S.C)

What we need from you to process your five veterans' preference credits and five Veterans' disability preference credits. 

  • Ultimately, we will need a copy of your DD214 – Member 4.  We will also accept the Service - 2, Service - 7, or Service -8 copy.  We will not accept any other member copies.
  • If you are active duty, we will need a copy of your official PCS orders or deployment orders.  A final DD214 - member 4 will be required upon separation.
  • For disabled Veteran's points, we will need your VA Determination and Rating Decision letter showing your percentage and how it was determined. 


  • If you are in the military and cannot attend processing due to an activation or deployment, please outline your circumstances on the deferment form. Email the completed form along with a copy of your orders to [email protected].
  • Active duty individuals may participate in the selection process if they are within 6 months of separation from their respective service. Candidates may not be appointed while on a terminal leave status and must have completely separated prior to their attendance at the academy. In certain circumstances such as AGR tours, individuals may be allowed to process. This is handled on a case-by-case basis.


Veterans with at least two years cumulative of active duty service in the U.S. Armed Forces* and an Honorable discharge may be eligible to receive a 30 College Credit waiver.

Please be advised that AARTS and SMART transcripts for courses that you have completed while in the military are not accepted in order to meet the required college credit levels. Applicants may wish to submit these transcripts to a civilian college they are considering for enrollment. The college may grant transfer credits for these courses. A maximum of 12 non-traditional transferred college credit hours will be accepted.

Buying Military Credit

After five years of credited service within the New York State Retirement System, Veterans who have received an Honorable discharge from the military may apply to buy back up to three (3) years of their service time to use towards retirement. The Veteran's service credit is assessed on a case-by-case basis. Read more information on buying military credit.

NYSP members may continue their military career as members of the Guard/Reserve.  Troopers are eligible for annual paid leave to attend military training.

Frequently Asked Questions

I am currently on active duty in the military and will be deployed during the exam testing dates and not able to be there for the exam. What should I do?

You should still apply to take an examination on one of the dates, whether or not you know if you can attend. You must notify us in writing of your situation and request to take a Military Supplemental exam at some point in the future (dates to be determined). You must also submit a copy of your orders or other official documents demonstrating your deployment and active duty status. Mail the documentation and request to:

NYSP Trooper Application Unit 
1220 Washington Avenue, Bldg. #22 
Albany, NY 12226

I was mobilized with my Guard/Reserve unit during Hurricane Irene on Title 10 orders. Do I qualify as a Veteran?

Yes. This is an operational mission.

I deployed to Ft Drum for a month with my Guard/Reserve unit to perform my annual training requirements. Does this qualify for Veteran’s credits?

No. Training does not count toward Veteran's credits.

I was deployed with my National Guard unit to Germany for multi-agency exercise. We trained with all European nations. Does this qualify for the Veteran credits?

No. Training does not count toward Veteran's credits.

I attended basic training and advanced training on Title 10 orders as a member of my Guard/Reserve unit. Does this qualify as Veteran's credits?

No. This is considered training.

What do I need as proof of my service?

DD214 - MEMBER 4, Service 2, Service 7, or Service 8 outlining Active Duty Service, or official orders depicting service during a national emergency, or official orders depicting active duty service if not annotated on the DD214.

What do I need to prove a Service Connected Disability?

Award Letter from the VA depicting at least 10% or more service connected disability AND receiving payment.

I previously applied my Veteran’s points on another Civil Service exam. Am I entitled to apply them on this exam?

Yes, as long as you are not hired from that exam, since points are determined to be used upon hiring.