Become a Trooper: Military Recruitment

Options for Military Personnel

Supplemental Exam Process

If you are in the military when the application period opens, apply on-line whether you know if you can attend an exam date or not.  If you can’t attend during the regular exam period, you must request to take a Military Supplemental Exam. You must supply military orders to support your request to take the supplemental exam by the established deadline. 

Requests and corresponding military orders can be emailed to our Member Hiring Unit, [email protected]

Veterans' Preference Credits

If you are a current or former member of the U.S. Armed Forces, you may be eligible to have additional credits added to your passing score on the NYSP Entrance Examination. 

  • Non-Disabled Veterans may receive five (5) extra points.
  • Disabled Veterans may receive ten (10) extra points. 


You qualify for Veterans’ Credits if you:

  1. Served in the U.S. Armed Forces on federal active duty, and,
  2. The active duty was other than for training, and,
  3. You received or expect to receive an honorable discharge.


In addition to the qualifications above, a Disabled Veteran must:

  1. Be certified by the Department of Veterans Affairs as having a service-connected disability rated at 10% or more, and eligible to receive payments.

During the online application process, you will have the opportunity to indicate if you qualify for and desire to use additional Veterans’ Credits.  You must upload the required supporting documentation before the application window closes. 


Required Supporting Documentation:

  • A copy of your DD214 showing your characterization of service was “honorable”.  The only copies that include the characterization of service are the Member-4, Service-2, Service-7, and Service-8 copies. 
  • If you are currently on active duty and do not have a DD214, we will need a copy of your official PCS orders or deployment orders.  Your DD214 will be required upon separation.
  • For Disabled Veteran's, we will need your VA Determination and Rating Decision Letter showing your percentage and how it was determined. 



If you are in the military and cannot attend processing due to an activation or deployment, please outline your circumstances on the deferment form. Email the completed form along with a copy of your orders to [email protected].

Active duty individuals may participate in the selection process if they are within 6 months of separation from their respective service. Candidates may not be appointed while on a terminal leave status and must have completely separated prior to their attendance at the academy. In certain circumstances such as AGR tours, individuals may be allowed to process. This is handled on a case-by-case basis.


Veterans may be eligible to receive a 30-college credit waiver.  To qualify, Veterans must have:

A cumulative of two or more years of active-duty service in the U.S. Armed Forces, and, 

An honorable discharge

The above qualifications are validated utilizing a DD214.

College credit hours are not required to apply; however, they are required to be appointed to the position of Trooper.  Therefore, you are encouraged to apply for and take the exam while continuing to work towards the required number of college credits. 

Non-traditional transferred college credit hours may be accepted.  The military is one source of non-traditional credit hours. Joint Service Transcripts for courses completed while in the military are only accepted if transferred to an accredited college or university and listed on an official transcript.  Review the education requirements here:

Buying Military Credit

After five years of credited service within the New York State Retirement System, Veterans who have received an Honorable discharge from the military may apply to buy back up to three (3) years of their service time to use towards retirement. The Veteran's service credit is assessed on a case-by-case basis. Read more information on buying military credit.

NYSP members may continue their military career as members of the Guard/Reserve.  Troopers are eligible for annual paid leave to attend military training.

Frequently Asked Questions

I am currently on active duty in the military and will be deployed during the exam testing dates, not able to sit for the exam. What should I do?

You should still apply to take an examination, whether you know if you can attend. You must notify us in writing of your situation and request to take a Military Supplemental exam. You will need to submit a copy of your orders or other official documents demonstrating your deployment and active-duty status. Email the documentation and request to: [email protected]

I was mobilized with my Guard/Reserve unit during Hurricane Irene on Title 10 orders. Do I qualify as a Veteran?

Yes. This is an operational mission.

I deployed to Ft Drum for a month with my Guard/Reserve unit to perform my annual training requirements. Does this qualify for Veteran’s credits?

No. Training does not count toward Veteran's credits.

I was deployed with my National Guard unit to Germany for multi-agency exercise. We trained with all European nations. Does this qualify for the Veteran credits?

No. Training does not count toward Veteran's credits.

I attended basic training and advanced training on Title 10 orders as a member of my Guard/Reserve unit. Does this qualify as Veteran's credits?

No. This is considered training.

What do I need as proof of my service?

DD214 - MEMBER 4, Service 2, Service 7, or Service 8 outlining Active Duty Service, or official orders depicting service during a national emergency, or official orders depicting active duty service if not annotated on the DD214.

What do I need to prove a Service Connected Disability?

Award Letter from the VA depicting at least 10% or more service connected disability AND receiving payment.

I previously applied my Veteran’s points on another Civil Service exam. Am I entitled to apply them on this exam?

Yes, as long as you are not hired from that exam, since points are determined to be used upon hiring.

Additional questions can be directed to the New York State Police Military Liaison, [email protected]