Become a Trooper: Military Recruitment

Options for Military Personnel

Extended Age Limits

If you exceed the age limit to apply (34 years old) but served on active-duty and were honorably discharged, you may still qualify.

Subtract the amount of active-duty service recorded on your DD214 from your current age, up to a maximum of seven (7) years.  If the result is less than 35, you may apply.

Requests and corresponding military orders can be emailed to our Member Hiring Unit, [email protected]

Veterans' Preference Credits

If you are a current or former member of the U.S. Armed Forces, you may be eligible to have additional credits added to your passing score on the NYSP Entrance Examination. 

  • Non-Disabled Veterans may receive five (5) extra points.
  • Disabled Veterans may receive ten (10) extra points. 


You qualify for Veterans’ Credits if you:

  1. Served in the U.S. Armed Forces on federal active duty, and,
  2. The active duty was other than for training, and,
  3. You received or expect to receive an honorable discharge.


In addition to the qualifications above, a Disabled Veteran must:

  1. Be certified by the Department of Veterans Affairs as having a service-connected disability rated at 10% or more, and eligible to receive payments.

During the online application process, you will have the opportunity to indicate if you qualify for and desire to use additional Veterans’ Credits.  You must upload the required supporting documentation before the application window closes. 


Required Supporting Documentation:

  • A copy of your DD214 showing your characterization of service was “honorable”.  The only copies that include the characterization of service are the Member-4, Service-2, Service-7, and Service-8 copies. 
  • If you are currently on active duty and do not have a DD214, we will need a copy of your official PCS orders or deployment orders.  Your DD214 will be required upon separation.
  • For Disabled Veteran's, we will need your VA Determination and Rating Decision Letter showing your percentage and how it was determined. 



After passing the exam, you may be invited to process.  Processing events occur in New York State.  If you cannot participate in these events due to a conflict with active-duty military service, please outline your circumstances on the deferment form.  Email the completed form and a copy of your orders to [email protected].

You may start processing while on active duty if your separation date is prior to the start date of the academy.  This includes terminal leave.  You cannot start the academy while on terminal leave.


Veterans may be eligible to receive a 30-college credit waiver.  To qualify, Veterans must have:

A cumulative of two or more years of active-duty service in the U.S. Armed Forces, and, 

An honorable discharge

The above qualifications are validated utilizing a DD214.

College credit hours are not required to apply; however, they are required to be appointed to the position of Trooper.  Therefore, you are encouraged to apply for and take the exam while continuing to work towards the required number of college credits. 

Non-traditional transferred college credit hours may be accepted.  The military is one source of non-traditional credit hours. Joint Service Transcripts for courses completed while in the military are only accepted if transferred to an accredited college or university and listed on an official transcript.  Review the education requirements here:

Benefits Available After Appointment

If appointed (hired), there are additional benefits available for Veterans, including:

• You may be eligible to receive credit for up to three years of active-duty service towards your 20-year retirement with the New York State Police.
• You may use your Veterans' education benefits while attending the Academy and for one year after graduation.  You may also use it while attending the Special Operations Response Team (SORT) School and the Canine Handlers School, if selected for these opportunities.
• You may continue your military career as a member of the Guard/Reserve.  Troopers are eligible for annual paid leave to attend military training.


Read more information on Military Service Credit


Frequently Asked Questions

1. I applied to take the exam, but now I can't make the exam due to military service.  What can I do?

First, attempt to change your exam date by calling Pearson Vue at 800-274-5989.  If due to active-duty orders you are not available to test, you may contact the Member Hiring Unit at [email protected] to request a refund of your application fee and reapply during another testing cycle.  Unfortunately, your test fee is paid directly to Pearson Vue and cannot be refunded by the NYSP.


2. I was invited to Process, but I am still serving on active-duty.  Can I start processing?

You may start processing if your separation date from Active Duty is prior to the start date of the Academy.  This includes terminal leave; you cannot attend the academy while on terminal leave.  When you receive an invitation to process, it is your responsibility to identify if you will separate before the academyGenerally, if your ETS date is within three months, you may start processing because processing typically takes 3-5 months to complete.  Processing events occur in New York State, and you will have to travel to NY several times during processing.  So, depending on your duty location and mission, it may be difficult for you to process prior to separation.  When you are invited to processing, if you cannot attend based on the above information, you should request a deferment (See FAQ #3).

3. I was invited to process, but I can't attend due to active-duty military service. Can I defer processing and for how long? 

Each exam has one or more processing opportunities, depending on the number of applicants.  If there are future processing opportunities for your exam, you may defer and attend a later processing opportunity.  However, if there are no future processing opportunities for your exam, or you won’t be able to make the future processing opportunities, you may only defer under certain circumstances.  Complete a deferment form.  Email the completed form and a copy of your military orders to [email protected].  They will determine if your military service qualifies for deferment.  Service in the Regular Armed Forces (Regular Army, Regular Air Force, etc.) always qualifies and you will be eligible to defer for at least two years.  Not all service in the reserve components will qualify.  If your service does not qualify, you will be advised to reapply and take the exam again.


4. I am currently on active-duty.  Should I apply to be a New York State Trooper now, or wait until I separate?

If you are in the Regular Armed Forces (Regular Army, Regular Air Force, etc.) and are within two years of separation, you should apply now, because if you’re called for processing, you will be able to defer processing for at least two years (See FAQ #3).  However, everyone is encouraged to apply as soon and as often as possible.  It’s possible that by doing so you may apply “too soon” and will have to reapply.  But remember, no one can say for certain when is “too soon”.  The timing of exams, their expiration dates, processing events, and academies are dependent on several factors, which cannot be predicted with absolute certainty, or controlled.  So, applying as soon and as often as possible is your best chance to secure employment with the New York State Police.


5. I Have a disability rating from the Department of Veterans Affairs.  Am I eligible to apply?

Yes, regardless of your VA disability rating, you may apply.  During processing, you will undergo a medical evaluation.  During the evaluation, the NYSP Division Physician will determine if you are able to perform the duties of a New York State Trooper.  You should have copies of your medical history to provide during this evaluation.


6. I was mobilized with my Guard/Reserve unit during Hurricane Irene on Title 10 orders. Do I qualify as a Veteran?

Yes. This is an operational mission.


7. I deployed to Ft Drum for a month with my Guard/Reserve unit to perform my annual training requirements. Does this qualify for Veteran’s credits?

No. Training does not count toward Veteran's credits.


8. I was deployed with my National Guard unit to Germany for multi-agency exercise. We trained with all European nations. Does this qualify for the Veteran credits?

No. Training does not count toward Veteran's credits.


9. I attended basic training and advanced training on Title 10 orders as a member of my Guard/Reserve unit. Does this qualify as Veteran's credits?

No. This is considered training.


10. What do I need as proof of my service?

DD214 - MEMBER 4, Service 2, Service 7, or Service 8 outlining active-duty Service, or official orders depicting service during a national emergency, or official orders depicting active-duty service if not annotated on the DD214.


11. What do I need to prove a Service Connected Disability?

Award Letter from the VA depicting at least 10% or more service connected disability AND receiving payment.


12. I previously applied my Veteran’s points on another Civil Service exam. Am I entitled to apply them on this exam?

Yes, as long as you are not hired from that exam, since points are determined to be used upon hiring.


13. I have a question that was not answered, who should I contact?

If you served in the military or have a military-related question pertaining to employment with the New York State Police, you may contact the military liaison at [email protected].  If you have a question about your online application or the exam itself, you should contact our member hiring section at [email protected].  If you have not served in the military and your question is not military-related, you may contact a NYSP recruiter closest to you, found here: Find your recruitment officer